Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Everyone has been asking for updates on our new addition. I figured this would be the easiest way give updates.
From the beginning:
Friday April 24th I went to an Ob appointment. My doctor put me on moderate bed rest and recommended that I try to take it as easy as possible. She indicated that she thought this little bug was going to come early but hoped to keep him cookin for atleast 2 more weeks. Saturday morning and began having random contractions. By lunch time they were beginning to be more uncomfortable. I called my mom who was in Utah at the time, buying a prom dress for my sister. For 5 hours she tried to convince me to call the doctor. Finally I did and they had me come in. Upon arrival (6:00pm or so) my contractions were 3 minutes apart and was dilated between 4-5cm. I was given 3 doses of terbutaline and an IV bolus over the course of a couple of hours hoping to stop labor. About 5 hours later my contractions were beginning to come more sporadically. The IV bolus made for a full bladder and constant trips to the bathroom. During one bathroom break about 12:20am my water broke. Over the next 7-8 hours the docs decided to leave the bugger in hoping to give him time for his lungs to mature. Originally they thought they would wait about 48 hours, but at 9am they decided to induce labor with pitocin. I was still waiting for my mom to return from Utah, desperately hoping she would make it back in time.
The pitocin was started around 10:00am, my mom showed up about 11:00am. Throughout the beginning of labor I worked on a powerpoint presentation for a class presentation on Monday.
Labor progressed slowly. Took about 4 hours to dilate to 6 cm. 6cm to birth was quick with a total of just over 30 mins. Our baby boy arrived at 2:58pm and was doing well. He weighed it at 4lbs 13 oz and 18.5 inches long. We were able to spend some time in the delivery room with him before they decided to take him to the special care nursery. He began showing signs of respiratory distress. In the NICU he was given 25% oxygen through tent ventilation. They slowly weaned him down to room air over the course of 3 hours. He was able to remain off O2 all night and spent most of his time sleeping.


Laura Benson said...

Once again, you were wonderful during labor and delivery as was your sweet husband.

Jamie and Ryan said...

I still cannot believe that you are now a mother of 2! That is so crazy!! Sounds like you handled labor and delivery beautifully, just as you did last time. Have you guys decided on a name yet??? When do you get to go home?

Happenings of the Harrisman family! said...

I'm so excited for you! I can't believe he's here already...hard to believe. Good timing though for sure!